Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Remembering Who I am!

Ahh... The Good Old Baton Days!



This is a huge part of my childhood and teenage years. I started twirling baton when I was 9 years old. My cousin Lacey started the whole thing. I went to her Regional Competition in California to support her and instantly fell in love with the sport. I grabbed one of her extra batons and went outside and started teaching myself. From there it was a matter of time and things came very quickly for me.

I loved the costumes and dresses. My mom spent a lot of money on costumes and dresses. I thank her for that. I always felt like a princess in my huge bell like dresses.



We traveled all over the United States for competitions and I have so many stories of spending the summer in California with my twirling buddies. Another time, I guess.

These are the days that taught me many life lessons. Baton twirling taught me time management, practice, how to lose and win gracefully (or at least try to), working for something difficult until you get it, and taking the criticism not too much to heart.

I enjoyed competing and when I got older, I know that mentally I gave up. I regret that. I should have stuck with it and really pursued it or just have walked away when I was done with the spirit of the sport. It is a chapter of my life that I have closed and people ask me all the time if I am going to teach Shae how to twirl and I tell them, only if she really wants to.

5 comments:

JENNIFRO said...

Cool. It would be fun to have such a unique talent. My Grandpa was baton twirler!

Ann Marie said...

Cute pictures! I love these posts!

Me said...

Cute pictures. I'll bet Jordan looks better in his costumes though! (j/k) ;o)

Jenice Henrie said...

This brings back so many great memories. I hope Shae finds her talent and excels like you did. I think the best memories are when the group was together and clowning around. I think I still have the video that you, Lacey, Melanie and Janet made about being spys at Norte Dame. I will look for it and we can watch it next time we see each other. I believe that Janet wants her pageant dress put with her when she dies. Do you still have your dress? Memories.......

Love, Mom

Lacey said...

Ahah, that video we made, how funny. Definitely some good memories and good times.
-Lacey
p.s. I decided to join the blogosphere if you want to check it out: http://thelaceplace.blogspot.com/

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails