Wednesday, February 24, 2010

"Another Chapter" rings joy in my ears!

Shaeler has been reading for quite some time. She reads very well, however her joy for reading has not come yet. She reads because she has to and her teacher requires her to.


BORING!


I was recently inspired by a post from my sister, who shared that they read story books as a family. I was amazed! I was impressed! I was inspired!


So, Shae and I went to the library and I told her that we were going to pick out some chapter books to read together. She got to pick which books she liked, and mom gets to pick one.

Shaeler chose "Princess Power" by Suzanne Williams and "The Fairy Chronicles" by JH Sweet.

Mom wants her choices to be classics and so I decided to pick "Charlottes Web" by EB White

Reading together has brought so much joy in our reading time. I hear the words "another chapter mommy!" and the heavens open and angels sing and of course I have to read another chapter.

Who can deny the pleas of a sweet child?

Alas, reading is now becoming an adventure, a time to be whisked away into another world. A time to use our imaginations and be enchanted by characters we will never meet.
I love it! But most importantly, she loves it too!

7 comments:

Julie Harward said...

I loved more than anything reading to my children, I did it from the time they were babies, and guess what..now, as parents, they read to their children and love it! There is nothing better than being all snuggled up together day or evening before bed and reading!!! LOve it :D

Joy For Your Journey said...

Good for you! What fun to read together. And now she will associate reading books with the comfort of being with you!

Unknown said...

We love reading as a family. We read the Chaolette's Web and Stuart Little combo pack. Stuart Little is a little wacko! My kids and I loved Fantastic Mr. Fox (quick read). We are now reading Mrs. Frisby and the Secrets of Nimh. Maya and I are reading the American Girl series and we are both loving them. Do share what you are reading next!

Jenice Henrie said...

I am so happy that she is enjoying reading. When it clicks that books are far more fun than TV, you will lose her into books forever.
I am sure that she will love reading as much as you do. It has always been one of my favorite things to do. I know how much Morgan and Robert love reading time, so I can just imagine how excited Shaeler gets.

Lisa said...

my little gal is so cute!
we love reading too! haven't quite got into big chapter books yet. but we have found that we love love love the free magazine Knowonder! that you can get from the library. Bay's preschool sends them home with the kids. They are wonderful short stories that readers submit-LOVE THEM!

Queen "B" said...

Aloha, so glad I stopped in to visit, looks like you are busy and happy with good reads, nothing more comforting than a good read

sending warm sunshine and hugs from Hawaii

Kimmie said...

I LOVE your writing style. You have SUCH a knack for writing.

My absolute FAVORITE thing to do with my kids is to sit on the beanbag and read books together!! I have many posts telling my joy about this and showing photos of us enjoying this time together.

Eventually the vision will come when you find just the right book that gets the excitement of your kids and then something happens...you catch them reading wherever they go. While they're brushing their teeth, eating their breakfast, driving in the car.

Some of my happiest moments are the joy of seeing my kids so excited about reading that they can't put the book down because they are loving it so much.

Charlotte's Web gets read each summer with my kids the first week or two of summer break. I never tire of that classic book.

You are SUCH an awesome mom (BTW...your daughter is SO cute and looks just like you) and I LOVE your happy and positive attitude and outlook on life. You inspire others!!

Have a wonderful day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails