Monday, August 15, 2011

Adventures in BYU Education Week!

Hello my friends,

Just wanted to take a few moments to tell you that I am having the time of my life at BYU Education Week.  Day 1 has come to a close and my body is full of spiritual edifying.  I totally forgot my camera, so for today, we will have to make do without pics.  Sorry! 

Today is also the day that I drove up and came back home to spend FHE with my sweet family.  So I was very nervous to be doing a ton of driving by myself.  Clearly, I survived.  The construction in Utah Valley is crazy awful and I have a hard time with depths.  So when people start slamming on breaks, I begin to sweat.

My goal was to be able to see my favorite speakers so that if their classes were to become too full by the end of the week, I at least was able to attend one of their classes. I pulled into the parking lot we normally park at for Women's Conference and it was empty, so I continued to cruise up closer to find a great parking spot.  It was awesome!

Making a change of plans, I went to Hank Smith's class as my first class.  Hank is a friend of mine and I wanted to support him as he is becoming a Big Shot BYU Institute teacher.  Hank's class was on trust and it was really, really good.  Some of the things he taught were answers to questions I have been asking for years.  Hank is growing up on us and it is so awesome to watch him in the process.

Went to a second class about communication through the color wheel.  Not really my cup of tea, but it was very educational.

After that, I ran over to the Ballroom to squeeze into S. Michael Wilcox's class.  Wilcox is one of the best teachers I have ever heard.  His class was about turning negatives into positives and he gave me a whole new perspective on Jacob 5.  To hear him teach on how he is turning the negative despair from losing his wife into positive life altering lessons is inspiring.  He truly is a great teacher and a master scriptorian.

Last, I spent 3 hours with Brother C.  Well, President Christensen now, however he will be Brother C in my heart forever.  He taught on the Lecture's on Faith and it was U.N.B.E.L.I.E.V.A.B.L.E!!  What I love most about Brother C is that he not only teaches doctrine, but deep doctrine and then he will crack a joke in the middle of it that seems almost sacrilegious and yet he is so endearing and the combination of the two makes you fall in love with him.  I miss him and his Friday night classes that we use to go to.  One more year and he will be back teaching again.  I cannot wait!  The opportunity to hear him now was like a surprise treat.  He is just a great teacher!  Originally I was going to leave early to beat traffic home, but the spirit was so strong with his teaching that I stayed the entire time.  So glad I did!

Came home to find the family is doing well  the first day without me and Shae wanted to teach the FHE lesson on the trampoline.  Blessings do come from being obedient.  We had a great night together and I am so excited to head back up and continue to be taught, to study and to feel the spirit for hours on end. 

Words cannot describe my joy today.  I cannot wait to see and hear what happens the rest of the week!

Suzanne

1 comment:

Valerie said...

I have been enjoying ed week too! I didn't go to any of Hank Smith's, but I love his CD's. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails