Sunday, December 14, 2008

These are a Few of My Favorite Things!

I have felt really blessed this weekend with the abundance of giving that has been bestowed upon me. And so, I wanted to share and thank the wonderful people that shared gifts that made me giggle inside and put a huge smile on my face.

1. My first awesome picks at the DI!


I am part of a cult of people that stalks the DI stores in search of books. That's right, raise your hand if you participate too. We lurk the DI stores all the time in hopes that someone has donated their grandparents books. To them trash, to us TREASURES!! Thursday was a day that I scored HUGE. I was able to obtain the Mortal Mesiah series, hard cover, by Bruce R McConkie. I was also able to get Joseph Fielding Smith by Francis Gibbons and then Stand Ye in Holy Places by Harold B Lee. SAWEET!!!


In the Stand Ye In Holy Places book, the inside cover was dedicated to a couple and then signed by Sister Harld B Lee. I was so tickled when I saw that and it wasn't even in the collectors case. Books bring me my greatest joy and I was clicking my heels on the way out of the store.

2. Natalie's Chocolate Pretzels


I lost all sanity when my good friend Natalie (who I have nicknamed "The Devil") gave me a bag of evilness. Pretzels with Hershey Kisses and M&M's on them. She had warned me that they were addicting, but I did not know that I was going to lose all and complete control of my hands to not grab another one. The biggest problem with these little temptations is how easy they are to make. Please check out the recipe here: Evil Christmas Treat

3. The Book of Mormon


In 2004, The Book of Mormon was reprinted in a different style and more to be a table top style looking book. I have always wanted this version because it is pretty and those that know me really well, know that I have a collection of Book of Mormons from family, one's that I have found, etc. My good friend Katie gave me this Book of Mormon for Christmas. I was so blown away by such a kind gesture. This gift is up there in the top things I have ever been given for Christmas. Thank you Katie, I love it more than you will ever know.


4. Nolan's Famous English Toffee (Notice how it is an empty tin foil! He he!)


Saturday I had the opportunity to go and hang out with one of my most beloved friends, Christy. She shared with me how to make her English Toffee and I about died how easy and delicious it was. I will forever treasure the memory of hanging with her and making toffee while we laughed, giggled, shared recipes and talked. Thank you Christy, I love ya!

11 comments:

Me said...

Those are definately things to be grateful for. I'm glad you like the book too. I never know what people have and that always is intimidating to me. I know that there are many more things too and hopefully you will keep sharing with us.

I can't wait to try the recipe either! I'm always up for new recipes.

Ann Marie said...

These are a few of my Favorite things also!

I agree with the BOM from Katie. They *rocked* this weekend.. BOM + a Edward poster?? OK. I'm pretty set for Christmas.

The DI finds are INCREDIBLE. Seriously. The Messiah series is one of the best sets of books to ever read, and then The Joseph Fielding Smith book by Gibbons... PRICELESS. Francis Gibbons biographies on the Prophets are like Gold. Some of them are really hard to find ( unless you want to pay a fortune ) and I have been collecting them for quite some time and am still missing 3 of them, and they are all over $100 to buy on-line or at rare book stores.
Anyway, sorry for the novel comment... I'm glad you had such a lucky, good and positive week!!
DI rocks!!!

And BTW: YOU REALLY need to check out the ornaments all year there. With the idea you have with the silouhettes, they have clear glass ones ALL.THE.TIME! ~ Seriously.

Kristen said...

*raises hand*

Yes, I am a DI stalker. But you knew that already. :)

And the toffee was awesome! I didn't know that was Pres. Longhurst's recipe. One of the best breakfasts I've had in awhile.

Natalie said...

He, he, he!! I was so tickled to see I made your list. I was even more delighted to see that you couldn't resist those devilish things either! I have NO self control when it comes to those. NONE! And I have stuff to make more! But, I did buy little red plates to place them on to take to some neighbors. Hopefully they can make it out my front door. If they do not, it will be ME who will not make it out the front door. I have seriously gained 5 pounds this week alone!

The Dorsey's said...

Natalie's chocolate pretzels looked to die for, but my favorite part was the empty tin foil.

Jenice Henrie said...

Toffee, I love toffee. In fact it is my favorite candy. What is the receipe?

Now I can't thinking about toffee.

Suzanne said...

Mom,

I will make you the recipe this weekend!

Suzanne

Lisel said...

I love it all! My husband is a huge DI book stalker and has made some awesome finds. Both the treats look delicious and I think I need the whole recipe for the toffee too!

{Mo} said...

Wow...great favorite things! I, too love DI, I'll admit it, I do! That is one thing that sucks about living WAY down here :)
English Toffee and Chocolate pretzels....YUUUMM! My little brother makes the BEST toffe and caramels.
The BOM frome Katie was such a thougthful gift! What a lucky girl you are!

JENNIFRO said...

VERY great score on those books and how cool with the inscription. I love finding meaningful stuff like that. Yummy stuff. Isn't this is a fun month!

Miss Megan said...

Hi. My name is Megan. (*hi Megan). I love to shop at D.I.

Enough said.

Don't you love it when you go in and you find something totally awesome - it just makes your whole day. I feel that way about all of the great kids books I keep finding at D.I. Yipee Skipee!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails