Thursday, February 11, 2010

Sometimes, you have to hit back harder!



Yesterday was a hard day.


I strive to live my life everyday in a positive, joyful, grateful manner.


Every once and a while, life likes to test my strength and stamina. Some days it feels like a boxing match.


Me vs. Hard things.


DING DING DING!


Ladies and gentleman! Welcome to the boxing match of my life. In one corner we have Suzanne and in the other corner we have Negativity. Let the match begin!


Negativity came out with full swing jabs, upper cuts and round houses with the following issues:


Daughter having an accident in the middle of the night.
Self worth issues and be littling myself.
Allowing negative comments to affect me.
Identifying an addiction to my laptop.
Not accomplishing the things I need to.
Husband leaving BBQ on high for 3 days straight and we did not know about it.


I came back full force with the following blocks, jabs and upper cuts back:


Praying and meditating and therapy through journal writing.
Searching the scriptures for answers.
Making a list of things I needed to do and accomplishing them!
Gratitude for my daughter and the house not burning down.
Setting the laptop in my office and shutting the door.


Hands down, I hate watching boxing. However, I did enjoy some of the Rocky movies. I really liked the last one because of one particular quote:


"Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done. Now, if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hit, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you are because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you. You're better than that!" Rocky Balboa


Now just think of me in grey sweats running up the stairs and jumping up and down when I reached the top. Because that is what I am doing today!


PS - my coworker just gave me a brownie because he felt bad. Do me a favor! Do something nice for someone else today! They may be fighting the fight of their life and everyone needs a Paulie to cheer them on!

6 comments:

Jenice Henrie said...

Suz, it's not you, its what you inherited. Keep up the positive thoughts and know that you are loved. I know I don't say it enough but both me and your dad love you with all our hearts. We have been a little self-focused lately, but if you need anything we are here for you.

PS, enjoy the brownies. The reason you don't want them is inherited as well. Next you won't be able to eat chocolate, so enjoy the gift. It was given with good intent.

You inherited a lot of great qualities as well. I will list them all this weekend. (too long for a comment).

Remember my saying, "as long as the four of us were ok, then I can battle anything." Well, as long as the three of you are ok, then you can battle anything. Right now I am seeing so many people battling what is being thrown at them, but I think you are very prepared. I see you going many rounds and ending in a "knock-out" and your hand being raised as a winner. You started it with the stretch pants and the Rocky. Anyway, hang in there. We love you and you are ok. (You know, the 4 ok). See you Saturday.

Mackenzie said...

What a sweet comment! I just love moms! They are the best!!!

I agree...sometimes you do have to hit back harder. And if I know you AT ALL, I know you are a fighter of the noblest kind.

And if you are ever feeling like you need some time in your corner of the ring, I hear there is LOTS of parking at Jason's deli and LOTS of salad to boot! (As I apply my new lipgloss)

Thanks for the chat! You are the best!

heather said...

THAT is a fabulous analogy. And thanks for the advice. :)

CB said...

Great job on this post Suzanne.
Someone told me when I was a very young adult that you are either just coming out of a trial, in the middle of a trial, or about to enter a trial.
I have found it to be true. We've got to keep those boxing gloves on and continue to fight the fight, and fight for right!!

You have such a wonderful attitude and are a ray of sunshine. Enjoy your brownie!!!

Unknown said...

thanks for this post, it is just what I needed to hear today. You are amazing!

Heather said...

Oh, I feel like that a lot too. I always have to fight the negativity too. Some times it wins for a split second and then I have to re frame and be positive and not let the little things make me made. It is a battle for me when there are a lot of little things all bunched up together to knock me right in the face.

I am so glad that your house didn't catch on fire. You were watched over for sure.

I love the quote from Rocky. Thanks for sharing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails