Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Jane Eyre: My favorite!

I have to say that Jane Eyre is probably my favorite movie of the period films.
Yes ladies! It totally beats out Pride and Prejudice and barely Persuasion....barely!
A love story, a heroic story, a mystery and drama all wrapped up into one.
I LOVED IT!

Jane Eyre is about an orphan girl who is cast out from her abusive aunt and cousins to a school at Gatehead to be raised on her own. After a very cold and disheartening life but a full education, Jane advertises to become a Governess. She is employed at Thornfield Hall to be the Governess of a young french girl named Adele. When she meets the master of Thornfield Hall, Mr Rochester, he is immediately drawn to Jane and her quiet, honorable ways.

The book goes on about their relationship as friends and equals. All the while, mysterious incidents are happening at Thornfield Hall. Mr Rochester then brings a group of friends to Thornfield Hall and Jane has to endure watching the flirtations of Blache Ingraham towards Mr Rochester. All the while, Mr Rochester forcing Jane to not retreat in herself but to have confidence in who she is.

I cannot tell you enough how much I love this story. I am 3/4 done with the book and this 2006 adaptation of the book is very close.


I don't want to give away any spoilers at the end because like I said, it is a mystery. I will tell you that I cried and cheered at the end of the movie.

Jane is right up there in my list of honorable heroins of fiction novels.

If any of you decide to borrow it from the library to watch, call me! I will happily join you on this one. I can watch it a gagillion times!

PS - Stay tuned for my reviews of all the summer films I have seen this summer:

Sense and Sensibility
Mansfield Park
Northanger Abbey
Wives and Daughters
The Way we Live Now
Anne of Green Gables
Anne of Avonlea
North and South
Little Dorrit
Wuthering Heights
Cranford
Great Expectations
Emma

I know, it's been a great summer for me! I reward myself with these movies when I accomplish things!





6 comments:

Lesa said...

Cranford is my favorite (I've watched it several times). Then Jane Eyre. I'm glad I found your list, I'm going to have to watch some of those that you have listed.

Ann Marie said...

Really? Favorite? Wow.

I am just to do a review on one of those listed... :)

Grateful you found some happy and good summer movies! :)

Unknown said...

(strongly emphasized) This is my FAVORITE FAVORITE movie!!!

Unknown said...

but i just don't understand what they're sayinggggg!!!!

jk

i just realized i have watched pretty much all the austen movies but not this one. do you own it? may i borrow? and while you're at it, send your daughter over too. hollynd begs me every day to play with shae!

Jayne Layne said...

Beware of Mansfield Park! There is psycho strange acting and a crying scene that would frighten any child... Jill can vouch!

Miss Megan said...

It's been a while since I have been around to check blogs, but Ann mentioned you had done a "Jane Eyre" post the other day so I had to stop in and see what it's all about!

I think we must be on the same page, because I am in the middle of reading the book right now for book club AND I just saw the 2006 version of the film for the first time last week...

I already knew the story of Jane Eyre, but I am REALLY liking the book. I like that Jane Eyre really knows who she is, and doesn't compromise that just to try and gain Mr. Rochester's attention (or later compromise her virtue simply because she loves him). I also really liked the conversation she has with Helen before she dies, when they discuss heaven and God and how she knows that he really exists (totally moved me to tears). I may save that for a future sacrament meeting talk. :)

As for the movie...I LOVED the 2006 version...definitely my favorite of all the versions I have seen! I will confess it took me a while to get used to this particular actress playing Jane Eyre because she they made her look so unbelievably HOMELY (why why why???!!!).

But I loved the chemistry between Jane and Edward (the "ORIGINAL" Edward btw *wink wink*), and I thought Toby Stephens did a spot-on job as Rochester. The production was gorgeous, and focused on the best parts of the story.

As for your list, I also agreed with your #2 choice (which is my #1 choice) of "Sense and Sensibility". I actually like it better than P&P (at least the film version). I just felt like it was a really layered and complex and STUNNINGLY well-done. Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet both NAIL the Dashwood girls.

We obviously need to talk about this in greater detail one of these days! Thanks for the post and pictures - hope you are doing well! xoxo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails