Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Responsibility is a must!

My dearest friend,

We have had some great lessons about responsibility here at the Rentmeister home.  Many events that came naturally and have really blessed our lives.  I am around the youth a lot these days, and I am surprised that some have a hard time understanding two words:  Work and Responsibility!  Mind you, there are some incredible parents out there that are teaching lessons on work and responsibility that I wish I was being taught.  So, I continue to be a good student and then feel a responsibility to teach Shaeler these wonderful life priciples for her life.  One way we do that is that Shaeler has chores.  She has chores everyday and then she has extra chores when we clean the house or extra events.  Some of Shaeler's chores she does is:

1.  Make her bed and clean her room
2.  Say her prayers (not a chore, but she includes it in her morning routine)
3.  Brush her teeth.
4.  Fold her laundry and put away
5.  Practice piano
6.  Homework right after school.
7.  Clean her toy room when needed.

Last night, Shae and I spent a couple hours together cleaning her play room.  I should have taken a before shot, but for 6 months, the room was trashed with a capital T.  I have been itching to clean it for a while now.  I myself enjoy cleaning.  I remember when I was a young girl, I would clean and organize the playrooms of those whom I babysat.  Yes, I was taught that when you babysit for someone, cleaning was included with the service.  However, I held back because these were Shaeler's toys and the mess that she made.  She was responsible for the room and she was going to clean it. 

Shaeler worked hard.  She never complained and she followed my lead in organzing her toys.  I would dare say she really did half the work.  I as her mother and super pleased.  She will be greatly rewarded for her responsibility and hard work. 



Now, if I could get her to help clean out the storage room with me, life would be really sweet!

Don't worry, I never ask her to do something that I am not willing to do.  I will clean this mess.  It's my stuff, I did it and I will be responsible for cleaning it up.  Maybe I can get Brian to be my helper on this too.  Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket, he needs a lesson on responsibility too. ;)

On one last note, Kristen and I have dear friends that were in a bad car accident last Saturday night.  They were at a party and were driving home a few blocks and did not buckle their children up.  I see this all the time in my neighborhood as we drive home from church and even Shaeler is begging to not have to buckle up when driving such a short drive.  We are guilty of it too!  Our friend was t-boned by an 18 year old driver, and 2 of their children were hurt very badly in the accident.  Please!  Please! Please!  Buckle your children up, no matter how short/far the drive.  It is way more convient than a body cast and having a child with stitches and staples in their head.

Always loyal and true,

Suzanne


5 comments:

CB said...

They say that the most accidents happen to people close to home. I believe that. Hope your friends children will be allright!

Julie Harward said...

She sounds like such a sweet little girl. And too bad about your friends..we can never be too careful!

Heather said...

I am so sorry to hear that about your friends! My heart goes out to them! I will keep them in my prayers!

I think you hit it right on the nose! Children do need to learn responsibility! And having chores is the best way to do it! The play room looks great!

Ann Marie said...

Good work!

I could rant.. and teach.. and talk all day about responsibility and work with children.

Great post!

~ And I told all of my kids about the accident! No more unbuckled belts to church!

JENNIFRO said...

Wow... I think you are so right about youth today. I've had this discussion time and again, about how teens today are SO coddled in many ways. Many have never even washed a bathroom sink or done the dishes. This post is seriously a good reminder to me that my kids have GOT to be taught how to do more.

Nick needs the seatbelt lesson--so sad and scary.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails